Sunday, December 15, 2013

Carols at the Marina

I have just enjoyed a wonderful evening of carols at Marina da Gama with my friends from the writing group, Geri and Esme.  I believe this is an annual event. Families from all over the Marina came by car, on foot, or by boat to the venue, a grassy bank by a footbridge that joins two sections of the Marina.

We were welcomed by a piper in full regalia plying his bagpipes on the bridge. The skirling echoing off the water. Everyone set up chairs, laid out rugs and unpacked their picnic suppers. Then the band
under the bridge started playing and we all joined in the singing of the old favourites. Our party had only one song sheet between the five of us. It didn't matter because I knew all the tunes and most of the words.  Ironically, I was put to shame by my Jewish companions, who knew the carols better than I did!
The moon looked down on us through a halo of cloud as we ended the evening with the lovely "Silent Night" and as we walked back to our cars over the bridge we saw a small fleet of paddle boats, their light reflected in the still surface of the lake as they made their way home, breathtakingly lovely, a magic moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment